Aalto Media Lab students are awesome.
Now they have collected a list of open source / FLOSS tools for online collaboration during the pandemic. The original file is in the Wikimedia’s etherpad. I don’t want to share the link to that collaboratively editable file, but I copied here the content as it was on Tuesday 9th at 11.30 AM.
When you see our students, say “Hi” and “Thank you!”
- Jitsi Meet (https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/)- free, no limit on participants, browser-based (which means nothing to install for any participants) (but bugs a bit if you are many)
- How to selfhost Ubuntu/Debian – https://guides.lw1.at/books/how-to-install-jitsi-meet-on-debian-or-ubuntu/ (Does anyone know a good documentation for server set up also with trouble solving tips?)
- official installation: https://meet.jit.si/
- other instances by various organisations: https://meet.mayfirst.org / https://calls.disroot.org / https://vc.autistici.org / https://framatalk.grifon.fr/ / https://meet.librement-votre.fr/ / https://jitsi.milkywan.fr/ / https://jitsi.linux.it / https://calls.disroot.org / https://jitsi.riot.im / https://jitsi2.linux.it / https://meet.guifi.net / https://meet.greenhost.net / https://fairmeeting.net/ / https://meet.artifaille.fr / https://www.colibris-outilslibres.org/ (choose “visio”) / https://meet.collective.tools
- belnet instance: https://jitsi-1.belnet.be
- https://peercalls.com/ (no registration, browser-based, FLOSS)
- https://openmeetings.apache.org – Apache Open Meetings – this is software to install on the server; are there any available instances of it?
- https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/about/ – unhangout
- chatb.org/ simple, FLOSS videochat
– not libre:
- https://whereby.com/ – limited to 4 people unless you pay for a pro account (ca. $10); browser-based; not FLOSS
- https://bigbluebutton.org/ – can share slides, make notes, go into a break room, etc (better install it on your own server)
- https://www.mumble.com/mumble-download.php – i think Mumble is audio chat only? yes
- https://itshello.co/ / https://talk.vasanthv.com/ (not really FLOSS, but still free to use via author’s installation)
- https://talky.io/ – not sure if this is completely FLOSS or not; i found some info from 2015 that says it is not 100% but nearly: https://blog.andyet.com/2015/06/09/what-is-being-open-sourced-from-talky/
What one-to-many streaming services are available?
- http://giss.tv/ – helen has tried to use this in the past without success
- https://icecast.org/ – need to have a server to install it on
- https://openstreamingplatform.com/ Open Streaming Platform (OSP) is an open-source, RTMP streamer software front-end for Arut’s Nginx-RTMP Module. OSP was designed as a self-hosted alternative to services such as Twitch.tv, Ustream.tv, Mixer, and Youtube Live.
- https://obsproject.com, Open Broadcaster Software, video/audio streaming software
- https://github.com/mafintosh/hypervision / https://github.com/louiscenter/hypercast – hypervision/ hypercast : server-free decentralised video streaming, based on the p2p DAT protocol. Kinda experimental, but works.
- https://www.crowdcast.io/ – this is open source (https://github.com/crowdcst?ref=stackshare) so if you have your own server i think you could probably install it?? otherwise it is a pay-to-use platform. no downloads, works in a browser, embeddable streams.
- https://joinpeertube.org/ PeerTube aspires to be a decentralized and free/libre alternative to video broadcasting services. (FLOSS and free and federated)
- Delta chat https://delta.chat/en/
- MATRIX – An open network for secure, decentralized communication https://matrix.org/ / and one of its clients : Riot https://about.riot.im/
- XMPP – https://xmpp.org/ an open protocol with numerous implementations, including :
- https://conversejs.org/fullscreen.html – Conversejs is “A free and open-source XMPP chat client in your browser”https://pad.riseup.net/p/Autorit%C3%A4reRegressionInZeitenVonCorona-keep
- https://fosstodon.org/@xmpp for more
- Mattermost https://mattermost.com/
- Cabal https://cabal.chat – p2p, server-free distributed group-chat
- The Wire – https://app.wire.com/ – Wire is an encrypted communication and collaboration app available for iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, and web browsers such as Firefox. Wire offers a collaboration suite featuring messenger, voice calls, video calls, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration –all protected by a secure end-to-end-encryption. Free for personal use. Open source. You need to create an account with an email address.
Alternative social networks
- WeDistribute “a publication dedicated to Free Software, decentralized communication technologies, and sustainability” – https://wedistribute.org/
- Welcome to the Fediverse – https://fediverse.party/
- Hubzilla – https://zotlabs.org/page/hubzilla/hubzilla-project // https://fediverse.party/en/hubzilla
- secure scuttlebutt (SSB) – https://scuttlebutt.nz/
- UpStage – https://upstage.org.nz – real-time collaborative manipulation of digital media (images, animations, audio, live streams, text etc) along with a text chat – for creative play, improvisations, performances & presentations; email info [@] upstage.org.nz if you would like a guest log-in. we are holding events during the pandemic.
- PixelJam — a collaborative console for live coding visuals: https://pixeljam.glitch.me/
- extramuros – language-neutral shared-buffer networked live coding system https://github.com/dktr0/extramuros
- Icestream – audio streaming mixer allows multiple streams for distributed audio performance (server and client). – https://sourceforge.net/projects/icestream/
routing a DAW into video streamingvia @ahihihhttps://github.com/ahihi/daw-loopback-guide
Music Hackspace @MusicHackspaceWe have a new forum! Join the discussion atonline-tools-for-the-pandemic | Etherpad
Ubuntu Studio is a free and open source operating system, and an official flavor of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Studio is the most widely used multimedia-orientated operating system in the world. It comes preinstalled with a selection of the most common free multimedia applications available, and is configured for best performance for various purposes: Audio, Graphics, Video, Photography and Publishing.http://ubuntustudio.org
Routing computer audio https://jackaudio.org
- Twine – http://twinery.org/
- Ren’Py – https://www.renpy.org/
- Fabularium (app) – https://fossdroid.com/a/fabularium.html
- –> more links: http://everest-pipkin.com/teaching/tools.html
- Flatpack – https://candle.itch.io/flatpack
Self-hosting (with others)
- Freedombox – https://freedomboxfoundation.org/
- Freedombone – https://freedombone.net/
- Yunohost – https://yunohost.org/
- Practical guides and much more – https://homebrewserver.club/
- –> more links: https://pad.vvvvvvaria.org/self-hosting-together
- Feminist servers checklist: https://pad.riseup.net/p/femservers-checklist-security
- https://coronavirustechhandbook.com/ – Coronavirus Tech Handbook
- https://syllabus.pirate.care/topic/coronanotes/ – Pirate Care: Flatten the curve, grow the care: What are we learning from Covid-19
- https://detroitcommunitytech.org/ / https://detroitcommunitytech.org/?q=teachcommtech – Detroit Community Technology Project
- https://alliedmedia.org/consentful-tech-project – Consentful Tech Project
- https://ps.zoethical.org/c/engagement/prendre-soin/137 – prendre soin
- https://pad.xpub.nl/p/MEDIA-onlineArt_and_resources – HKU Image and Media Technology; recently opened online cultural resources: museums, libraries, streaming of operas, etc.
- https://www.systemli.org/en/2020/03/15/solidarity-as-infrastructure.html – “As a left-wing tech collective, we want to support you in using the right tools while still maintaining a minimum of privacy and security standards. Below are some specific recommendations for tools that we find useful for digital collaborative work processes.”
Sharing is CaringDas COVID19 – Infowiki von mur.athttps://wiki.mur.at/SharingIsCaring
- NextCloud – https://nextcloud.com/: open source document sharing, alternative for Dropbox, Google Docs, etc. Needs to be hosted on a server. There are some providers, you can sign up for free here: https://nextcloud.com/signup/ (there are quite a few options, but you will need to check each company individually to know how good they might be) or check with your webhost, e.g. Mur.at provides NextCloud for its members.
- https://thegood.cloud/ – uses NextCloud, for individuals it’s free for 2GB
Digital Solidarity Networkshttps://pad.vvvvvvaria.org/digital-solidarity-networks
ARTICLESPURISM Our Essential List of Free Software for Remote Work March 25, 2020 Software FLOSS applications / Software freedom / Tips and trickshttps://puri.sm/posts/our-essential-list-of-free-software-for-remote-work/
What do feminists have to say on #COVID19. A thread on Resources from (mostly) Global South thinkers. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1244225040507379712.html
The Politics of COVID-19, Readings #14The most important contributions on the political, economic, and social effects of the unfolding crisis.https://covid19syllabus.substack.com/p/the-politics-of-covid-19-readings-471