Aalto Media Lab students are awesome.
Now they have collected a list of open source / FLOSS tools for online collaboration during the pandemic. The original file is in the Wikimedia’s etherpad. I don’t want to share the link to that collaboratively editable file, but I copied here the content as it was on Tuesday 9th at 11.30 AM.
When you see our students, say “Hi” and “Thank you!”
- Jitsi Meet (https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/)- free, no limit on participants, browser-based (which means nothing to install for any participants) (but bugs a bit if you are many)
- How to selfhost Ubuntu/Debian – https://guides.lw1.at/books/how-to-install-jitsi-meet-on-debian-or-ubuntu/ (Does anyone know a good documentation for server set up also with trouble solving tips?)
- official installation: https://meet.jit.si/
- other instances by various organisations: https://meet.mayfirst.org / https://calls.disroot.org / https://vc.autistici.org / https://framatalk.grifon.fr/ / https://meet.librement-votre.fr/ / https://jitsi.milkywan.fr/ / https://jitsi.linux.it / https://calls.disroot.org / https://jitsi.riot.im / https://jitsi2.linux.it / https://meet.guifi.net / https://meet.greenhost.net / https://fairmeeting.net/ / https://meet.artifaille.fr / https://www.colibris-outilslibres.org/ (choose “visio”) / https://meet.collective.tools
- belnet instance: https://jitsi-1.belnet.be
- https://peercalls.com/ (no registration, browser-based, FLOSS)
- https://openmeetings.apache.org – Apache Open Meetings – this is software to install on the server; are there any available instances of it?
- https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/about/ – unhangout
- chatb.org/ simple, FLOSS videochat
– not libre:
- https://whereby.com/ – limited to 4 people unless you pay for a pro account (ca. $10); browser-based; not FLOSS
- https://bigbluebutton.org/ – can share slides, make notes, go into a break room, etc (better install it on your own server)
- https://www.mumble.com/mumble-download.php – i think Mumble is audio chat only? yes
- https://itshello.co/ / https://talk.vasanthv.com/ (not really FLOSS, but still free to use via author’s installation)
- https://talky.io/ – not sure if this is completely FLOSS or not; i found some info from 2015 that says it is not 100% but nearly: https://blog.andyet.com/2015/06/09/what-is-being-open-sourced-from-talky/
What one-to-many streaming services are available?
- http://giss.tv/ – helen has tried to use this in the past without success
- https://icecast.org/ – need to have a server to install it on
- https://openstreamingplatform.com/ Open Streaming Platform (OSP) is an open-source, RTMP streamer software front-end for Arut’s Nginx-RTMP Module. OSP was designed as a self-hosted alternative to services such as Twitch.tv, Ustream.tv, Mixer, and Youtube Live.
- https://obsproject.com, Open Broadcaster Software, video/audio streaming software
- https://github.com/mafintosh/hypervision / https://github.com/louiscenter/hypercast – hypervision/ hypercast : server-free decentralised video streaming, based on the p2p DAT protocol. Kinda experimental, but works.
- https://www.crowdcast.io/ – this is open source (https://github.com/crowdcst?ref=stackshare) so if you have your own server i think you could probably install it?? otherwise it is a pay-to-use platform. no downloads, works in a browser, embeddable streams.
- https://joinpeertube.org/ PeerTube aspires to be a decentralized and free/libre alternative to video broadcasting services. (FLOSS and free and federated)
- Delta chat https://delta.chat/en/
- MATRIX – An open network for secure, decentralized communication https://matrix.org/ / and one of its clients : Riot https://about.riot.im/
- XMPP – https://xmpp.org/ an open protocol with numerous implementations, including :
- https://conversejs.org/fullscreen.html – Conversejs is “A free and open-source XMPP chat client in your browser”https://pad.riseup.net/p/Autorit%C3%A4reRegressionInZeitenVonCorona-keep
- https://fosstodon.org/@xmpp for more
- Mattermost https://mattermost.com/
- Cabal https://cabal.chat – p2p, server-free distributed group-chat
- The Wire – https://app.wire.com/ – Wire is an encrypted communication and collaboration app available for iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, and web browsers such as Firefox. Wire offers a collaboration suite featuring messenger, voice calls, video calls, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration –all protected by a secure end-to-end-encryption. Free for personal use. Open source. You need to create an account with an email address.
Alternative social networks
- WeDistribute “a publication dedicated to Free Software, decentralized communication technologies, and sustainability” – https://wedistribute.org/
- Welcome to the Fediverse – https://fediverse.party/
- Mastodon – https://joinmastodon.org/ // https://instances.social/
- Socialhome – https://socialhome.network/ // https://fediverse.party/en/socialhome
- Hubzilla – https://zotlabs.org/page/hubzilla/hubzilla-project // https://fediverse.party/en/hubzilla
- Friendica – https://friendi.ca // https://fediverse.party/en/friendica
- secure scuttlebutt (SSB) – https://scuttlebutt.nz/
- UpStage – https://upstage.org.nz – real-time collaborative manipulation of digital media (images, animations, audio, live streams, text etc) along with a text chat – for creative play, improvisations, performances & presentations; email info [@] upstage.org.nz if you would like a guest log-in. we are holding events during the pandemic.
- PixelJam — a collaborative console for live coding visuals: https://pixeljam.glitch.me/
- extramuros – language-neutral shared-buffer networked live coding system https://github.com/dktr0/extramuros
- Icestream – audio streaming mixer allows multiple streams for distributed audio performance (server and client). – https://sourceforge.net/projects/icestream/
routing a DAW into video streamingvia @ahihihhttps://github.com/ahihi/daw-loopback-guide
Music Hackspace @MusicHackspaceWe have a new forum! Join the discussion atonline-tools-for-the-pandemic | Etherpad
Ubuntu Studio is a free and open source operating system, and an official flavor of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Studio is the most widely used multimedia-orientated operating system in the world. It comes preinstalled with a selection of the most common free multimedia applications available, and is configured for best performance for various purposes: Audio, Graphics, Video, Photography and Publishing.http://ubuntustudio.org
Routing computer audio https://jackaudio.org
- Twine – http://twinery.org/
- Ren’Py – https://www.renpy.org/
- Fabularium (app) – https://fossdroid.com/a/fabularium.html
- –> more links: http://everest-pipkin.com/teaching/tools.html
- Flatpack – https://candle.itch.io/flatpack
Self-hosting (with others)
- Freedombox – https://freedomboxfoundation.org/
- Freedombone – https://freedombone.net/
- Yunohost – https://yunohost.org/
- Practical guides and much more – https://homebrewserver.club/
- –> more links: https://pad.vvvvvvaria.org/self-hosting-together
- Feminist servers checklist: https://pad.riseup.net/p/femservers-checklist-security
- https://coronavirustechhandbook.com/ – Coronavirus Tech Handbook
- https://syllabus.pirate.care/topic/coronanotes/ – Pirate Care: Flatten the curve, grow the care: What are we learning from Covid-19
- https://detroitcommunitytech.org/ / https://detroitcommunitytech.org/?q=teachcommtech – Detroit Community Technology Project
- https://alliedmedia.org/consentful-tech-project – Consentful Tech Project
- https://ps.zoethical.org/c/engagement/prendre-soin/137 – prendre soin
- https://pad.xpub.nl/p/MEDIA-onlineArt_and_resources – HKU Image and Media Technology; recently opened online cultural resources: museums, libraries, streaming of operas, etc.
- https://www.systemli.org/en/2020/03/15/solidarity-as-infrastructure.html – “As a left-wing tech collective, we want to support you in using the right tools while still maintaining a minimum of privacy and security standards. Below are some specific recommendations for tools that we find useful for digital collaborative work processes.”
Sharing is CaringDas COVID19 – Infowiki von mur.athttps://wiki.mur.at/SharingIsCaring
- NextCloud – https://nextcloud.com/: open source document sharing, alternative for Dropbox, Google Docs, etc. Needs to be hosted on a server. There are some providers, you can sign up for free here: https://nextcloud.com/signup/ (there are quite a few options, but you will need to check each company individually to know how good they might be) or check with your webhost, e.g. Mur.at provides NextCloud for its members.
- https://thegood.cloud/ – uses NextCloud, for individuals it’s free for 2GB
Digital Solidarity Networkshttps://pad.vvvvvvaria.org/digital-solidarity-networks
ARTICLESPURISM Our Essential List of Free Software for Remote Work March 25, 2020 Software FLOSS applications / Software freedom / Tips and trickshttps://puri.sm/posts/our-essential-list-of-free-software-for-remote-work/
What do feminists have to say on #COVID19. A thread on Resources from (mostly) Global South thinkers. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1244225040507379712.html
The Politics of COVID-19, Readings #14The most important contributions on the political, economic, and social effects of the unfolding crisis.https://covid19syllabus.substack.com/p/the-politics-of-covid-19-readings-471
2 replies on “Open source / FLOSS tool for online collaboration”
Teemu, gracias por la información, será muy útil revisarla para ver qué herramientas pueden ser complementarias y se pueden instalar en en la Red Local http://kimera.com/data/redlocal/redlocal.html
Justamente esta semana estamos revisando si podemos cargar en la Red Local la versión descargable de Jitsi Meet Online https://jitsi.org/downloads/ , necesitamos una versión que se pueda instalar en Windows.
Otro tema que en principio encuentro interesante es el de las apk, hemos encontrado que como en las sedes rurales la gran mayoría de los estudiantes tienen celulares este se ha convertido en el dispositivo con el que se accede la red, hemos cargado en la red algunas apks y han mostrado ser útiles. Estamos tratando de localizar aquellas de uso libre para Androir que puedan apoyar al docente en las áreas rurales.
De nuevo gracias.
[…] Blog com muitos links que abre portas, foda demais https://teemuleinonen.fi/2020/04/09/open-source-floss-tool-for-online-collaboration/ […]